Question about Balancing and Automation

pap

Question

Hi again

I am using Drivepool now for aprx. one Month, works fine. Now I found 2 Topics I want to ask:

I am using some 8TB Seagate Archive V2 as Archivepool with redundancy. As Cache, I first use 2 SSD´s each 480GB. All works fine but write speed is not as fast as writing to a single SSD. After a while, i had to copy files larger than the SSD Size do the pool and write speed drops to aprx. 35MB/s as expected. Larger SSD´s are expensive, so I tried to use 2 fast spinning Disks as Cache, marked them as "SSD" in the Balancer "SSD Optimizer" (all other Balancers are disabled). It works as expected, but again not as fast as writing to a single Disk.

The Files are Backup file, so I want to ask if there is a possibility to use only one Disk as "SSD Cache" and after finishing writing to this Disk the Balancer copies the file(s) to my duplicated Archive Disks. I know that for the first time of the copy all files are only on one Disk, if this Disk dies, all files are gone. However, as these files are backup files, no problem, I start Backup again.

The second question is about automation the Backup Process. Is it possible to get information about the Balancing (% Ready, .. ) with an external scripting language?

Thanks for Help

Best Regards from Austria

Peter

3 answers to this question

As for the slower writes, that's ... definitely odd.

Do you have any antivirus, backup or disk tools instaled on the system? (as these can cause issues)

And could you post the results of this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

Additionally, could you do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Also, try making sure that only the SSD Optimizer balancer is in use. (uncheck all of the other balancers).

Also, when this slowdown occurs, check the SSD drives in the UI. If the drive is filled up to the red arrows in the disk, this means that it's switching to the the slower drives and may be the cause of the slowdown you're seeing.

As for the SSD cache, yes and no.  You can, but it will fall back onto the archive drives, unless you disable realtime duplication. However, if you disable this, it will run a duplication pass once a day (at 2AM, IIRC), and new files will be unprotected until then. Additionally, in use files may not be properly duplicated. 

And no, there isn't a way to get the balancing status currently. 

However, there is a "running file" advanced option, that creates a file when tasks such as duplication and balancing are running.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

And it's the "DrivePool_RunningFile" value that you want. 

Hi

Thanks for Answer. No Antivirus or such Software is running an my 2012R2 Server.

fltmc: Reports Dedup(8), luafv(1), npsvctrig (1). (x is nrb. of Instances)

Balancing Status:
ok I tried
            <setting name="DrivePool_RunningFile" serializeAs="String">
                <value>C:\Program Files\StableBit\DrivePool\</value>
            </setting>
lets see tomorrow, at the moment there is a balancing running (for the last 24h for 820GB one file at the moment ready for 77%) and I assume that the file will only be built at the beginning of balancing.
The log (zi) is in the attachment.

Thanks again for help
Best Regards from Austria
Peter

Service.zip

To clarify, you'd need to use something like this:

<setting name="DrivePool_RunningFile" serializeAs="String">
                <value>C:\Program Files\StableBit\DrivePool\RunningFile.txt</value>
            </setting>

And yes, the file is created when the task starts, and is deleted when the task finishes. Which is why you need to specify a file, specifically.