GUI bug report

B5GX9T

Question

Hello,

I'm an IT Admin for a living and tinkerer / enthusiast at home.

I've recently discovered your Drivepool product, and I'm very interested (Currently my data is 'locked' inside an aging Drobo)

I treat this as a sort of timebomb, where I'd have to purchase another Drobo should this one implode.  I'm keen to avoid RAID and it's inherent shortcomings and drawbacks.  Windows storage spaces etc doesn't really get us much further forward!

So, I've been running your software in an A2 sized VM on Azure for the last 2 days, beating the **** out of it :D I have a healthy skeptisicm before I trust my own data to a new product. I've been ripping disks out, inserting different sized ones etc.

I've discovered a bug, but it's not the disk layout code, but the GUI code..?

To possibly reproduce, add 4 disks to the VM - mine were all 5GB.  My Pool had 2.4GB of music on it (you can *RAPIDLY* pull this down from Amazon cloud I found out)

I had duplication set to 3, so the data ended up on G, H & K.  My Pool drive is I.

I tried to use your Scanner product to mark a filesystem (the G drive as it was the 'oldest' ) as corrupt using it's 'Simulate' feature, but I think this doesn't cause Drivepool to evacuate a disk (good for production use, a shame for testing :lol: ) and I was ready to swoop in and replace the dying G drive with L, which was currently empty.

anyway, I added L anyway and I also added the D drive which was a 60GB Azure transient / temp scratch disk.  It goes when you power down the VM.

I then set the duplications to 4 copies.

And (i guess correctly) I saw Drivepool start pushing data to D (which by % was by far the most empty - 50+ GB free)

but in the GUI, I saw the G drive double in usage - I confirmed using Treesize that indeed D was growing, and G was NOT!

It may help if I put in some pics.

I've got the properties of D up as it's hard to read the usage using a bar chart - see 'diskpool-actual.jpg'

the GUI showing the wrong output - see 'diskpool-gui-wrong.jpg'

Hope this helps - forgive me for posting a bug report in a forum - i'm not sure how you officially report bugs yet.  As I said, I'm yet to purchase and only discovered your software yesterday.  I've got to trust it first...

post-2310-0-54966200-1452979830_thumb.jpg

post-2310-0-73574000-1452979863_thumb.jpg

2 answers to this question

OK! sigh of relief in a way, it is just a display bug.

Still, not a good bug to have on such a product, I must say as it could worry people during such operations as moving from 1/2 or 3 duplicates (Something I'll likely do as I migrate my disks out of their current home, into a new home - potentially a Drivepool one)

Anyway, after restarting the server, the GUI now looks like the attached - which is what I'd expect.

I've increased the duplicates to 5 and it's displaying the only empty drive, L, as now being filled.

I'll keep testing :)

post-2310-0-39509700-1452980627_thumb.jpg

Reporting issues here is fine. Though we generally recommend any issues be reported at "https://stablebit.com/Contact"(again, either place is fine, but the link is private).

That said, we are aware of some measurement issues that in the stable release. They've been addressed in the beta builds, and should handled much better.