Newbie Question

pap

Question

Hi I am new to drivepool, looks great. I am testing in the 30 Day´s Evaluation Period.

Is it possible to build a System (regarding on a specific balancing System) for Archive files. All new files are stored in a drivepool (2*n Disks) with duplication so all files are "safe". If the files get older then a specific amount of days (e.g.365) and are untouched (no update or rewrite) i want to move the files to other disks (maybe a new pool??) like "Seag... Archive HDD v2 8TB" without duplicating. This Drives are based on "Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) Technology" which means that the writing Speed is slow especially for larger files or if disk usage is > 75%.

I know I could do th move manually or by script.

A scale out Option is a "first level Cache" build of SSD, fast but asynchronous move to a diskpool (with sync. duplication) and after xx Days moving to SMR Archive.

Thanks for any Help

Best Regards from Austria

Peter

3 answers to this question

Peter,

You should check out this thread:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1625-do-i-start-buying-8tb-archive-drives-or-not/

Check the answered section, as that should cover pretty much everything you want to know.

And specifically, we do have an "SSD Optimizer" balancer, that basically creates "write cache" drives (you'd want 2 disks for the SSD/write cache).  And it will move the files off the the "SSD" drives based on your balancing settings (immediately, once a day, etc). 

I use this with my system specifically, and it works very well. (I have 5x Seagate Archive 8TB drives).

Hi again

Thanks for quick answer, tried this in the follwing way.

Put a 480GB SSD to my Pool, installed "DrivePool.SSDOptimizerPlugin.Setup_1.0.3.5_x64", under Pool Options, Ausgleichen, Balancer   only SSD Optimizer is checked, my 2 test spinning Drives (WD Green 1TB) are marked as Archive, my SSD is marked as SSD. "Fill SSD drives up to" = 75%

Under Ausgleichen, Einstellungen, "Sofort ausgleichen" is checked.

If I copy a file aprox. 150GB to my Share (Drivepool) I got stable 100 MB/s writing, also show in my Task Manager, NIC. I think that's the the max Speed of my datasource, may old WDGreen 1TB drive, and my 1GB LAN.

After the copy was finished, th new file is on the SSD and on one of the 2 Archive Drives (1TB WD Green).

So it is dupplicate as it should be because the Pool is configured for Duplication.

What I dont understand at the moment is, why the file is not moved to the second Spinning Disk, and  the SSD is going to be empty for the next copy.

Thanks for Help

Peter

If you're using duplication, then you'll want to have two SSDs for the balancer. 

The reason for this is that duplicated data is written to "both destination drives" by default. 

Specifically, the "Real Time Duplication" option is enabled, and enabled by default. We do recommend leaving it enabled, as it better handles files that are in use.  

If you only want to have the one SSD drive, then you can disable this option. (Pool Options -> Performance -> Real Time Duplication). However, any files that are kept in use may not be duplicated until the files are "closed".  

And if you're reading from a 1TB WD Green drive, then the max read speed from it may be 100MB/s or there abouts. And yes, that would limit the write speeds to the pool.