Scanner's "Age" data weirdness

woodp

Question

My pool consists of four, green WD 2G hard drives, and in general, I remove old drives after 2-3 years, even if they're still indicating healthy. But I'm starting to not trust Scanner's AGE report any longer.

• In the attachment, the two bottom drives (the ones ending in -00DC0B0) were installed at the *exact* same time. Now scanner is reporting they were replaced ~4 months apart.
  • The top two drives (ending in -19D8PB0 and -00D8PB0) were installed almost a year apart, yet scanner reports *exactly* a three hour difference.

What am I doing wrong? Should I stop trusting Scanner's age information?

post-35-0-56707600-1447084998_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

The age is based on the "Power On Hours" SMART data.  This may be different for different drives, and it may not be completely accurate.

However, this is the only way we can tell how old the drive is. Without this SMART data, there isn't any sort of setting to tell us the drives approximate age. 

However, if you want, submit the data to bitflock and post the ID it generates  here (done in the "SMART details" window for any of the drives). 

Submitted to Bitflock. The ID is HJ3Y15A7

And as if to put an exclamation point on the weirdness, note the time delta between the top two dives yesterday was *exactly* three hours. This morning the delta is two hours. And reality is these drives should indicate about a year apart.

post-35-0-39558700-1447177287_thumb.jpg

Flagged for Alex (the developer).

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/21844

And it does look like the drives are slightly different models. So it may be possible that the firmware is reporting slightly different values for the drives. And this would absolutely throw off the age for us.