Need tips for moving a pool to a NAS

CoreyK

Question

Long time DP user on WHS2011. 

It has served me well, but I just picked up a Synology 1515+ and am going to move the 5x 4tb drives I have in my server over to the NAS. Or at least thats my plan. 

Looking for some suggestions on the best way to do this. I have another 5 1tb drives laying around, so my thought was to start with a couple of those in the NAS and remove the drives from the pool one by one. After moving each 4tb drive over to the NAS, moving more data to the NAS, so I can remove the next drive. My current pool holds about 15tb, so I can't remove more than 2 drives from the pool without causing an issue. 

I'd replace the 4tb with the 1tb to give the pool some overhead, but I'm not convinced that I'm doing this the smartest way. 

Any advice would be most welcome. 

1 answer to this question

I have already responded to the ticket for this, but I'll respond here.

I'm not very familiar with the Synology boxes, so my ability to help is limited here.

If the Synology box supports a form of JBOD or pooling, that would be the best way.  In this case, you could remove one disk at a time, from the pool (the software includes a removal option which clears the data off of that drive before removing it). 

However, if the synology box doesn't include such an option, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  In this case, you'd ... really end up needing to get more drives, so you can create a storage array on the synology box capable of handling all the data you need (ideally after removing some of the drives from the pool. 

Aside from that, I'm not really sure.