Multiple pools and duplication

DaveJ

Question

I've had Drivepool running for a long time and haven't had any issues up until last weekend.  On my primary server I have a single 4-disk pool with folder duplication enabled for all folders. I had been backing it up to two locations - a single locally-connected external drive, and a separate backup NAS with a second Drivepool with folder duplication enabled for one path.

Last week I expanded my external drive backup to two drives in a USB enclosure.  Both drives were pooled to provide a single backup target, and folder duplication was not enabled.  Despite that, I noticed that when I copied data from the primary pool to the new backup pool, duplication had been enabled on one folder.  I disabled duplication on that folder and verified it was turned off on the rest as well.

Last night my server warned me that several of my drives were running low on space - upon checking I found duplication had been enabled on the folders I had previously verified it was turned off.

So now to my question - if I have a primary pool with folder duplication enabled, and I copy data from that pool to a secondary local pool that does not have folder duplication enabled, are the duplication settings for the source folders copied to the secondary pool as well?  I should note that I've never seen this issue when copying data to my backup NAS.

1 answer to this question

Could you grab the logs from the system?
I'm not sure it will show the issue, but just in case:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Also, just a heads up, if you changed the duplication status for the folder to match it's parent and then changed the parent folder, it would do this.  I'm not sure if that's the case, but it could be.

Do you have StableBit Scanner installed on the system? If not, run a disk check of the pooled disks (as the duplication "tags" are stored on the local file system, and a disk error could cause this behavior).