Duplication File Placement

TwoEdge

Question

Hi,

I just started my trial period with Drivepool and have a question regarding the duplication and balancing strategy.

I currently have

2 x 8 TB

2 x 4TB

4 x 2 TB

drives in my pool.

The 4 and 8 TB drives all have data on them and i succesfully imported the existig data to the pool.

Now i want to dupicate all data which is about 12 TB.

Which drives does the duplication process prefer to put the copies on?

Does it use the strategy of "most absolute free space" or does it honor the rules set for the balancers?

I will be using the disk space equalizer with the percentage based settig as my balancer.

None of the duplication data is currently written to any of the empty 2 TB drives so now a lot of data is written just to be completely rebalanced afterwards.

Is it somehow possible to influence this?

Greetings

TwoEdge

4 answers to this question

Well, thank you for your interest in our product!

And when duplicating data, it depends.  It does want to place files on the disk(s) with the most absolute free space. However, it does follow the balancing settings, as well. So if you're using the Disk Space Equalizer, it should follow it's settings, as well.

If you don't have the balancer installed yet, then it wouldn't use the 2TB drives until the 8TB drives are ~6TBs filled and the 4TB drives are ~2TBs filled.  Only once all the drives have the same amount of space, would it start using the 2TB drives.  

(that's barring "special circumstances" such as higher than 2x duplication).

If you don't have the balancer installed yet, then it wouldn't use the 2TB drives until the 8TB drives are ~6TBs filled and the 4TB drives are ~2TBs filled.  Only once all the drives have the same amount of space, would it start using the 2TB drives.

That was my expectation for equal free space and it is what happened. I had the balancer installed though set to percentage based.

Right now the pool is free space balanced. Duplicating any additional folder with the balancer set to percentage based should exclusively write to the 2tb drives if i am not mistaken. All other balancers are off for the moment.

what i am seeing is as soon as another drive becomes the one with the most absolute free space it becomes the one that is written to. So for some reason, the balancer is being ignored.

Edit: After resetting all balancers to default, deactivating disk space equalizer, the balancing marks now indicate that drivepool suddenly wants to balance percentage based although there isnt a single balancer at work that would tell it to :)