Ordered File Placement issues

bcpletcher

Question

Hello,

I am currently in the process of expanding my storage space and at the moment only have a 5TB and 2TB drive. Lets say I have 3TB of data that I would like to add to my 7TB pool with pool duplication enabled. When I began copying the files onto the pool it would come to a stop once the 2TB drive was full and wouldn't copy the remaining TB over because it couldn't be duplicated. What I am trying to achieve is have as much data backed up and the data left over still copied to the pool but obviously not backed up since the space is filled on the smaller drive.

I then proceeded to install the 'Ordered File Placement' plugin to designate the 5TB drive as the primary drive to fill but that did not fix the issue unfortunately.

Any thoughts on how to achieve what I am going for?

1 answer to this question

Disable "Real time duplication". 

This feature is enabled by default (and we recommend leaving it that way, honestly). However, this causes files that are suppoed to be duplicated, to be written to all disks at the same time.  Since the one disk clearly doesn't have enough room.... you're going to see this error.

Disabling the feature means that only one copy is written, and then later is duplicated.  This will get what you want, but you will get notifications that you don't have enough space.