Missing Drive not showing up under Disks

ravonaf

Question

I'm having a bit of a problem with StableBit Drivepool. Over the weekend, I lost a drive. It was a part of a 10 drive pool and it was connected via ISCSI from a FreeNAS server. After several attempts to recover the drive I eventually just physically removed it from the FreeNAS server. At some point it removed itself from the list of Disks. Most of the data was duplicated so I wasn't too concerned. However it never allowed me to officially remove the disk. I'm showing over 3 TB's of data that is unduplicated. StableBit drivepool won't duplicate it after several days. When it's restarted it tells me there is a drive missing but I have no way of removing it from the pool because it's not showing up. At this point I'm at a loss on what to do next. I can't add the drive back and I can't remove it from the pool. I'm at risk with 3 TB's of data that isn't duplicated. What next?

3 answers to this question

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

That is very unusual, and it should have reported the drive as missing.

Could you grab the logs from the system?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Just do steps 7-9, though.

And after doing that, try resetting the settings and see if that helps:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

I'm running version 2.1.561. Initially, it did report it as missing with an option to remove it from the pool. In my attempt to fix it, I removed it as an ISCI target from FreeNAS and added it back. I did this several times before giving up. On my last attempt, it disappeared from the pool altogether. It's when I reboot the system that I still get a missing drive error even though it no longer appears in the pool. I'm also getting locked disk errors, which I assume is PrivePool thinking the drive is still there? I've attempted to remeasure several times but it still shows the 3TB as unduplilcated. Often times it sits idle with no activity even though it should be duplicating data.  I'm currently running a backup of all the data in the pool. I'm hesitent to make any changes until the backup is complete. As soon as that's done I will turn on file system logging and do a reset of DrivePool. 

Ah, that could be why specifically.  Chances are, the settings database may have gotten corrupted.  There is better handling for this in the beta version, but that doesn't help you right now.

The fact that it isn't showing the disk as missing, but is still reporting it as missing... is a bit odd, but most likely related to the above info. 

Grabbing the files would give us a better idea of what happened and may be able to fix it for the future.

Resetting the settings *should* clear that data, and should allow the pool to remeasure and reduplicate data as needed. 

But yes, definitely, let the backup complete, just in case (if the backup software is using VSS, you should be fine regardless, but just in case)