object reference not set

kenwshmt

Question

I have a drive that is failing in such a way that 'remove' wont complete or progress, and I cant change the pool properties of it so that it emptys.

the gui stalls attempting to change anything at all.

can I edit a file and change the drive status so that it will empty, or remove it and then copy the files back into the pool by another method?

the errors the gui reports, when it hasnt frozen, is 'object reference not set' and 'device not ready'

5 answers to this question

now im not sure that made any difference. I pulled the drive out of its case and put it into a cradle and read and scanned it on another system, it read as ok.. putting it back on the drive pool has made things nearly stop again.

how can i remove the drive the drive from the pool and transfer the files back in manually?

What OS are you using?

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

What controller cards are being used for the pooled disks?

Are any of the drives USB or eSATA? And if so, what enclosure(s) are you using?

Also, have you tried checking the connections for the cables? And do you have any spare SATA cables to test (switch out the one for the drive in question, as it could be going bad (and yes, that does happen... I've had several SATA cables burn out on me)).

If you're okay with reproducing the issue, could you enable file system logging?

DrivePool v1: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection

DrivePool v2: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

As for moving the data off of the drive.... all the pooled content is in a hidden "PoolPart.xxxxx" folder (where the "xxxxx" part is a long sequence of letters and numbers). The file and folder layout in this folder should be mostly identical to the pool.  you can copy the files off of the drive and copy it back into the pool, if needed.

i had to go with the final solution to get the drivepool working again, and its normal once more. with the drive disconnected from the system i removed it from the pool. it all worked again.

I have it plugged into another system working on getting the data off. I will transfer the directory structure, if the drive reads correctly.

1.5tb

win 7 pro.

2 gig seagate in the black standing box.. ive had 3 of this model fail.. not a good design..

2TB, I'm assuming you mean.  And the actual model of the drive inside being ST2000DM00x? If so... I've had more than a few of those drives die. I think it was more of a firmware bug or manufacturing defect than just the enclosure..... :(

And if you're able to access the system with DrivePool over the network (via shares), you should be able to browse "\\systemname\c$" (where "systemname" is the system's name or IP address). And if you can access "c$" (this should be the "C:\ drive on that system), then you should definitely be able to access the pool drive using it's letter (eg, if it's g: for the pool, you'd access it via "g$"). That may make it easier to copy stuff over, depending.