SSD Optimizer Balancer Not working as Expected

Aeonlu

Question

Hello All. New to drivepool, and I couldn't seem to find a good answer here. I have a 3hd pool with one sdd as a cache. It's setup to empty immediately. For some reason, when it empties it scatters the files evenly across the drives, not looking at the drive with the most available space. This is causing an imbalance over time. I dont want to keep manually balancing after the fact as this interferes with my parity scans. Any thoughts?

4 answers to this question

The default settings should be emptying the files to the drive with the most free space (in bytes, not percentage) at any given time. So if you have drives A and B with free space A>B then it should be putting the files in A until A<B at which point it should begin putting the files in B until A>B again (and so on)... note that over time this naturally will result in a roughly even spread of files across A and B (assuming the drives are of similar size).

Is this not happening? How much free space do you have on each of your archive drives?

Also if you're using snapraid or similar parity tool on your archive drives then you'd need to be careful to not have any balancers or placement rules enabled with settings that would move existing files within those drives. Do you have any other Balancers or Placement Rules active?

I have over 4TB remaining on each drive. I have no other balancers enabled other than the ssd optimizer and no placement rules. The drives are all the same size, but for some reason it seems to prefer one drive over the others. No settings I have seem to be asking for that.

It does fill the other drives as well, and often at the same time if I'm moving over several files. But It always seems to place more files on the drive with the least storage available.