StableBit Drive Pool in Enterprise Environment?

mickputley

Question

2 answers to this question

As much as all here love DrivePool I would be hesitant to use it in an enterprise setting seeing as it's a very small operation and although it's been working flawlessly for me personally the risk in case something malfunctions is too high. The old adage "nobody's gotten fired for buying IBM" still holds true.

Hi, I have been using DrivePool in a private capacity for years. I am interested in whether anyone has experience of using it in a corporate environment, and whether CoveCube can cite any larger customers that they have provide for?

Mick

Well, it really depends on the usage.

However, in general, in a large enterprise/business environment, a large RAID 10 array is probably going to be the best option. (or *maybe* a RAID6 array). Namely, because you get get a much read and write throughput. When you're dealing with 100's of people accessing the same information, IOPS is very, very important.  And unfortunately, StableBit DrivePool is not able to compete with high end enterprise configurations.  Unless, maybe you used ALL SSDs for the pool. 

(Also, not counting the fact that the business may have multiple computers with the information, (eg a cluster) and load balance the users)

While I'd love to say that StableBit DrivePool is a great for an enterprise environment, ... it's not really. Except maybe as a backup destination.