Your License Needs to be Migrated after Windows Update

CptnDave

Question

I'm running on Windows Server Essentials 2012R2 and applied Windows Updates yesterday. In addition to loosing my mouse completely, DrivePool is now telling me my license needs to be migrated for some reason.  To make matters worse, the button to accomplish this does not appear to be in the tab order and is unreachable as far as I can tell without a mouse. So two issues - Windows Update shouldn't trigger license migration and even if required should be reachable via keyboard. I did update the BIOS after the Windows Update in desperate stab in the dark to fix my mouse problem, so perhaps that is at the root of the License issue.

BTW I've spent hours trying to fix the mouse and somewhere in the cause is an event stating \Driver\mouclass failed to load. If this is not solvable and I need to reinstall the OS will StableBit re-discover my pools (none on the system drive of course) and auto-magically recreate them?

thanks!

1 answer to this question

Yup, updating the BIOS would trigger that behavior. The BIOS Date is one of the things we do look at to identify the system.

Worst case, resetting the settings should fix the issue.

However, the transfer button should be in the tab order, and should be the only option.

Additionally, there is always the "mouse keys", if you have the number pad. 

ANd yeah, it sounds like you may need to reload, unfortunately (I don't think 2012R2 Essentials has system restore.. .but check the install disk, just in case).  And d o you not have Windows Server Backup setup? If not ... well, I recommend doing so for the future, at least for the system disk.

As for reinstalling, yes, it will "auto-magically" recreate the pool. :)

Specifically, once the the disks are connected and StableBit DrivePool is installed, it will detected the pooled disks and automatically recreate the pool. It will retain the duplication status and settings, but everything else won't be retained. That means that you may want to change the drive letter, and you'll need to re-setup the balancers or file placement rules, if you changed them.  

Additionally, we would recommend that you download the WSS Troubleshooter utility in this case. Run it on the server and select the "Rebuild DrivePool Shares" option. This will automatically reshare the pooled locations, bypassing the dashboard's issues with moving shares to locations with existing data.