M1015 and SMART passthrough

abba77

Question

Hi,

Just got Stablebit Scanner and Drive Pool for my Windows 7 x64 HTPC/Server.

I have 8 HDD connected to my IBM M1015.

I have 6 Seagate 7200.14 and 2 HGST 4TB Desktop NAS. Yes, the seagate are failing en masse...was such a big supporter of them.

I get SMART readings on Scanner when connected to the motherboard, a ASROCK z87 motherboard.

However, through the M1015, Scanner says "The on-disk S.M.A.R.T. check is not accessible. Drive temperature and mechanical operating parameters are not available and will not be monitored"

The drive itself scans and can report bad sector errors. How can I get SMART to work?

The M1015 is flashed to IT mode on firmware version 20. The bios was removed as I dont use any built in RAID features. I as using FlexRaid but will most likely go with drive pool duplication or SnapRaid.

I read something about UnsafeIO setting on these forums to get SMART to work. Does that mean I have to install the M1015 bios and some software?

Any help would be appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Find the "Direct IO" section, and check the "Unsafe" option. Reboot the system (or use "services.msc" to restart the "StableBit Scanner Service").

Once you've done that, you should be able to see the SMART data on the drives attached to this controller.

You're very welcome, and glad to hear it's working now.

(though, it's really odd.... I have the same card, was in IT mode, but now in IR mode), and I've never needed this setting enabled.... I wonder what the difference is.

And as for the HDD temp, that's ... wow.  It's not outside it's max operational temp, but yeah, that's not good. And yeah, you should definitely get a notification from StableBit Scanner, if this happens again. :)

The case is a fractal designs R4 and sits next to the HTPC. One day, 6 year old son leaning on it says the case feels hot.

The R4 has a switch for fan speed and so fans are connected to that, hence no monitoring.

The power cable must have disconnected or switch gone bad and turned off the front 2 intakes and the rear exhaust, all 140mm fans. CPU and GPU fans running but no exhausting, hence 8 Seagate hard drives baking nicely. 

Yes, woried about the 5 remaining seagates knowing the temps went that high, way above what you would like.

I replaced 3 of them with 1 more seagate and 2 hgst over the last week. Formatting (not quick) the hgst also reached 114F creating a stablebit warning. I let them finish with an external fan blowing into the open case keeping them at 91, but otherwise the server is staying off.

Tonight, will rotate the drive cages 90 degrees to help with front to back airflow and see if i can keep the temps low. the cage was mounted sideays to make use of the cable hiding area on the case. may have to sacrifice neat cabling for better airflow.