Duplication Warnings

XAlpha

Question

I'm trying to resolve an issue with a "duplication warning" that has come up.  "There were problems checking, duplicating or cleaning up one or more files on the pool."

The file is from WHS client computer backup folder on the pool "\client computer backups\data.4096.127.dat."

DP couldn't resolve it, so I moved the folder out of the pool onto an independent drive. The folder and the file are no longer on the pooled drive, but I'm still getting the error, and DP can't seem to fix it. I've rebooted, uninstalled version 561 and installed the latest beta, and went back to 561, but none of that has resolved the duplication warning issue.

Please advise.

12 answers to this question

I'm guessing that you enabled duplication for the pool or folder shortly before this happened?

If so, then it is likely that the Client Computer Backup service was still running and using the file(s) in question.  Since DrivePool can't duplicate an existing file while it's in use, it throws this sort of error.  Once the service "lets go" of the file, it can be duplicated properly. 

Also, if you have real time duplication enabled (default), this shouldn't occur with new files (which is likely why you couldn't reproduce the issue).

Kind of, one of the drives threw a SMART warning, and I have been having issues getting the pool to complete measuring, checking, and duplicating.  Assuming the two may be related, I increased the duplication from 2 to 3 until the problem could be isolated and to ensure duplication was re-checked for all folders.  And then I got that warning.

And I'm currently on WIndows 8.1 Pro.  I had previously used WHS 2011 and saved the directory in case I needed one of the backups.  So no, the files were not in use by the OS at the time of this warning.

Ah, okay. 

If that's the case, then it sounds like it was having issues reading from the file on one of the original disks.

You mentioned SMART warnings, what specific values are being flagged?

And are you using StableBit Scanner? If no, try installing that and running a surface scan on the disks. This may help identify the disks that are having issues (though, by default, it may cause DrivePool to evacuate the problem disks).

Load cycle count, and yes using Scanner.  No bad sectors, Scanner reports healthy other than the SMART warning.

And maybe?  But not sure, as I successfully moved the folder off the pool onto a Drobo, and even with the folder gone, not in the pool, DP continued giving me the duplication error for that folder & file.

The Load Cycle Count may not be a critical error. Though, it depends on if you're seeing other issues.

If you are experiencing other issues with the disk and have a high LCC value, then you may want to consider RMAing the drive, if it's still under warranty. 

As for the warning, you've completely removed the files, and clicked on the "duplicate now', and the issue remains? Is that what you mean, specifically?

Okay. And you're still on the 2.1.1.561 version, correct?

If so, try installing the latest beta version:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/

There are some additional checks and cleanup for the settings, that may help fix stuff like this.

Also, try remeasuring the pool (under pool options), as that may help, as well.

If the issue is continuing in the 634 build, then please enable the file system logging and remeasure.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

This should get a detailed log of what is going on, and where it's failing.

Additionally, could you post the results of this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

I only read 2 comments in, I should have finished reading. I've already created a dummy file to resolve it. If it happens again I'll try to collect logs.

image.png

So... I can't remove the uncensored image. I can't remove an image once uploaded. I can't keep one image out of the post in favor of the other once uploaded. I can't delete the post. How annoying.