Plenty of freespace, but Sonarr can't import anything.

fleggett1

Question

I recently built a new Windows 11 system, as my old 10 box was showing its age, and I'm running into a very strange problem with Sonarr in conjunction with DP.

Both Sonarr and DP report 800 GB of free space.  This is based on a target pool with a total of 83 TB (soon to be 101 TB, as I just received another drive today).  I know weird things can start to happen when a file system approaches zero space, but 800 GB seems like plenty of play.

The problem is that Sonarr can't import anything to the pool, as it doesn't think it has the necessary space.  These are (relatively) small episodic files at around 7 GB each.  I know this because I went through the latest Sonarr log and saw this rather alarming entry:

"System.IO.IOException: There is not enough space on the disk."

I've done a few Google searches of this error as it relates to Sonarr, but it looks like whatever bug caused this was fixed long ago.  I also scanned their Discord to see if this is a new bug, but no one has reported anything.  As such, I can only surmise the problem is on DP's end.

So, any ideas?  Is there some invisible drivespace overhead DP employs to manage pools that isn't reported to the user?  I'm not doing any duplication, but even if I were, 800 GB is still 800 GB of presumably usable space.  I'm using the latest versions of both DP and Scanner.  Thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

Could it be a lack of contiguous free space? You may have 800GB free total, but the limit for any single incoming file still can't be bigger than the largest amount of free space on any single given volume in the pool (e.g. if you had eight drives in the pool that 800GB might be made up of 50+50+50+50+100+100+100+300GB).

Could it be running into the error because it's attempting to pre-allocate space for multiple incoming files at the same time? E.g. if this Sonarr is telling DrivePool to allocate room for twenty incoming files of 7GB each simultaneously and the largest contiguous free space available is less than 140GB then there'd be an error because DrivePool defaults to choosing the poolpart with the most free space at the time but it won't be able to simultaneously fit all twenty there.

Could the Sonarr software be mistakenly doing some sort of percentage checking? 800GB of 83TB is less than 1% free...

(note too that if you're using duplication, 800GB free is more like 400GB free or less)

Hmmm.  HMMMM.  I think you might be onto something, as the freespace on my drives was spanned across all of them instead of one or two drives having the 800 GB.  I don't know how Sonarr (pre)allocates space on the target, but it may not've made any difference given how that 800 GB was spread across the pool.

Yeah, it must've been that, as Sonarr was able to resume transfers once I installed the new drive.  DP is now rebalancing everything, which looks like it'll take a couple of days to complete.  I'm definitely not turning things off until that's done.

BTW, the scrollbar in DP isn't working in my installation - I have to use the scrollwheel, instead.  It does work in Scanner, though.

Thanks for the quick feedback.  I would never have thought of that being the answer.