"File distribution not optimal"

Steve

Question

Hi, I've been using drivepool and cloud drive for years.  Quite simply the best solution for JBOD type situations so you can use all those older drives etc,  I love the products and have three licenses so far.

I've recently run into an issue that's not that big of a deal but driving me nuts :D   I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this.  I have 5 small cloud storage accounts (15, 15, 15, 10 and 5 GB) with google, MS onedrive, box.  The accounts work fine, the cloud drive works fine connecting and creating drives and so forth.   The small cloud storage drives add up to 60 GB, so I used drivepool to create a 60GB pooled drive.  Works great.   I added about 10 GB worth of data files to the pool (unduplicated) and they got uploaded to the various cloud drives.  I verified that the data is indeed there, all is good.

My one issue is that the drive pool has a message that says "file distribution not optimal" , and re-balancing / re-measuring etc does nothing.   I thought "Surely just a balancer plugin setting or file placement rule or something".  There are no file placement rules in effect and there is no duplication on the pool/folders.  I've done everything I can think of, but the message (file distribution not optimal) remains.   I deactivated all the balancer plugins but one, the "Disk Space Equalizer", with the "Equalize by percent used" setting... but still, the message remains, and I noticed that one of the drives (the 5 GB one) barely gets any data put on it, even though the balancer is set to equalize percent used.  

I'm baffled, any ideas on where to start looking would be appreciated!

Balancer Settings.jpg

Balancers.jpg

Drivepool.jpg

3 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

If you click the arrow for the pool organization bar at the bottom, it should have a "re-balance" option. 

Does running that help?   

If it doesn't, then please open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact 

Nope, tried that about a million times (along with everything else I could think of, including resetting everything to default, unchecking all the balancers etc etc.   I din't want to be that guy asking how to fix something that even a cursory attempt would have fixed.   When I re-balance, it takes about a second and it's done, but the status remains the same and the distribution of files across the drives remains the same (I also looked in cloud drive and saw there was no activity on any of the drives over the network when rebalancing).  Weird.  I will open a ticket.  Thanks!