Scanning Automatically Stopping?

jp007

Question

Hello,

I'm a relatively new user of StableBit Scanner. I'm also not sure if these forums are even active anymore. But, I figured it's worth a shot.

I purchased a new 12TB hard drive and wanted to scan it before using it.  Yesterday I ran the scan. I made sure the hard drive was well ventilated and had a fan on it at all times, so it never overheated (or even came close). It very slowly scanned, and by the evening the scan just stopped. I think it was around 10%. I don't know why it stopped. So, I started the scan again and the scan restarted from 0%.

It ran all night and this morning I checked it and it again was stopped at about 25%. So, I now again have to restart the scan, beginning again at 0%. It does seem to be scanning new blocks instead of re-scanning the previous ones (essentially picking up where it left off). But, I would prefer if the software didn't automatically stop.

There is no other disk activity, sleep is disabled, and all throttling settings are disabled.

1 answer to this question

There are a number of options that will cause the scans to stop.  Activity on the disks will throttle or stop the scans.  The time may.  Etc.  You can see these settings here: 
https://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=General

That said, the percentage is a bit ... misleading.  StableBit Scanner uses a sector map for the scan, so eaach region is tracked independently.  That percentage is based on what is left to be scanned, and *not* the entire disk's progress.  You can see that represented here: 
https://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk Scanning Panel#Sector Map