Hidden and Visible PoolPart folders on pool drives

montejw360

Question

i have removed some drives from the pool in order to let Scanner run repairs on them. not sure if that was necessary or helped, but that's what i did. now i have some pool drives with both Hidden and Visible PoolPart folders on them. i.e. uncheck Show Hidden Items and the hidden ones go away and the others are still visible within Windows Explorer.

Can i delete the visible PoolPart folders from those drives? one of those folders looks to be 1 TB.

Also when i "removed" the drives from the pool i used drivepool's "remove" tool and let it complete it's run.

thanks

3 answers to this question

the drive is back in the pool. i am assuming the hidden poolpart folder is the current folder. 

so when a drive is removed from the pool drivepool takes care of duplication as it does, then the folder is unhidden. the files/folders in that unhidden poolpart folder are duplicated as need be on the other drives still in the pool. makes sense.

thanks.

Yes, the hidden folder would be the corrently used folder.

The unhidden folder would be the old folder.

so when a drive is removed from the pool drivepool takes care of duplication as it does, then the folder is unhidden. the files/folders in that unhidden poolpart folder are duplicated as need be on the other drives still in the pool. makes sense.

Correct. We also "tag" the folder so that the software doesn't try to re-add it (as a precaution). 

Also, if you want, you can move the contents of the unhidden PoolPart folder into the hidden one, (this will merge the data, basically). You'd want to remeasure the pool afterwards, and it will "unduplicate" files as needed. 
This or deleting the unhidden folder are a good idea if you do have a lot of "Other" data on this disk.