Pool set to duplicate; still have unduplicated files

D3rAnG3D

Question

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere but I can't find my specific scenario in the various threads.

I just had to replace a drive in the pool and that went fairly smoothly.  Yay!  The issue I'm seeing is that I have the pool set to 100% duplication.  I've checked to make sure no specific folders are unduplicated and all are set to duplicate.  Before I replaced the drive, I had 100% duplication (no unduplicated or other).  Now that I have replaced the drive and run multiple duplication checks, I still have 783MB unduplicated and 1.8GB other.  I've checked the root of each drive and there are no files outside of the drive pool folders.  I also have the file duplication background IO set to false in order to speed up the process from swapping drives.

I know there are all kinds of mysterious things that can cause the other amount (although I didn't have this before swapping drives).  I'm mainly concerned about the unduplicated amount.

I'm running DP v2.1.1.561.

What else can I look at here?

Edit:  Welp, I guess it was waiting for me to post the question.  I had tried using the re-measure and re-check duplication options and the latter never did anything at all.  After posting, I went back and tried the re-check duplication again and it finally woke up and duplicated the remaining 783MB.  The 1.8GB of other still remains though.  I don't remember seeing this before but I guess it's just something I need to ignore.  I'm not sure why it took so many tries to get the duplication to do it's thing.  I'd really like to get this to set it and forget mode at some point.  I've been babysitting it constantly out of fear of losing more data due to incomplete duplicaton.

Any ideas on why it took several tries to get it to see that i needed to duplicate?

Edited by D3rAnG3D

3 answers to this question

Yeah, sometimes the remeasure option has issues. It is/was having issues getting hung up on problematic files. We've fixed some of those issues in the latest beta, so it should work better in the newer versions.

But I'm glad to hear that you got it remeasured and duplicated properly.

Just to make sure, you did enable the "Pool File Duplication" option, correct?

And in the Folder Duplication window, if you see a "+" after the "x#", that indicates that a subfolder has a different level of duplication than it.

As for the "Other", please take a read:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/37-faq-unduplicated-vs-duplicated-vs-other-vs-unusable/&do=findComment&comment=3635

But basically, just because it's using a certain amount of disk space, doesn't mean that it's using the exact amount, as it may not fill each and every cluster. This is called "slack space" and is very common. 

Yeah, sometimes the remeasure option has issues. It is/was having issues getting hung up on problematic files. We've fixed some of those issues in the latest beta, so it should work better in the newer versions.

But I'm glad to hear that you got it remeasured and duplicated properly.

Just to make sure, you did enable the "Pool File Duplication" option, correct?

And in the Folder Duplication window, if you see a "+" after the "x#", that indicates that a subfolder has a different level of duplication than it.

As for the "Other", please take a read:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/37-faq-unduplicated-vs-duplicated-vs-other-vs-unusable/&do=findComment&comment=3635

But basically, just because it's using a certain amount of disk space, doesn't mean that it's using the exact amount, as it may not fill each and every cluster. This is called "slack space" and is very common. 

Thanks for that info.  Yes, I do have "Pool File Duplication" enabled.

Thanks for that info.  Yes, I do have "Pool File Duplication" enabled.

Okay, if that's the case, and if you're still having issues, then please install the latest beta version.

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.616_x64_BETA.exe

This version contains some fixes regarding the measuring, and more logging regarding it.