Drive Pool without Duplication

Qsuicide

Question

Hello

I did some researching looking for storage pooling software, and I believe Drivepool suits my needs.

Im using SnapRAID to provide Double Parity (so few drive/file level parity software offer multiple levels of parity) to 14 Drives.

I only want the Storage Pooling functionality, no duplication, balancing, or any other involvement from Drivepool which would move files or add extra data to my existing drives.

Ive disabled all the plugins, and turned off balancing and duplication, however because I added the drives BEFORE I turned off duplication, it seems to have duplicated 6.5 GB of data. How can I 'unduplicate' this without manually doing it and messing up Drivepool. Snapraid reports that a couple of the files that Drivepool has duplicated are missing, and Drivepool reports that some of the Duplicated files are messed up (Probably because I did an initial test build of the parity data WHILE drivepool was doing some duplication?). In either case, I can delete the Snapraid parity data and rebuild it from scratch once I sort out the DeDuplication issue. Do I have to remove my Drivepool 'pool' and recreate it to remove this random unwanted duplication?

Any advice would be appreciated to help me setting on purchasing Drivepool for my setup. Thanks!

1 answer to this question

We do have a number of threads about FlexRAID and SnapRAID. If you haven't already, you may want to check them out.

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/52-faq-parity-and-duplication-and-drivepool/&do=findComment&comment=3542

As for unduplicating the data, check the file protection options. Make sure that pool file duplication is not enabled.

After doing that, check the folder duplication option. Any folder that is "x1+" means that a sub folder has duplication enabled. 

Also, keep in mind, that we do have a metadata folder on the pool that is duplicated x3.  This is hard coded and cannot be changed. This may grow in size, if you're using a lot of reparse points (or similar file system links). 

Also, if the UI is complaining about the duplication, it should be offering to resolve it, and that may be the easiest way to handle it.