Windows raid drive not visible in DrivePool

Tom

Question

I am new to DrivePool and I love it so far however I do have one question. I was wanting to use the SSD Optimizer to improve write speed but I don't have a spare SSD and I don't want to use my OS drive SSD so I decided to take 2 of the WD Black drives and put them in Raid 0 and use that as my Cache drive. My first choice/attempt was to use the motherboard raid controller to set it up but when I enabled raid in the bios windows would bsod during boot. Instead of spending the time to dig through dump files and try to resolve that issue I just disabled raid in the bios so it would boot with out issues and use the Windows raid feature. After setting up the raid in windows I opened DrivePool to add the newly formed raid drive and doesn't show up as a drive. Is it possible to use a Windows raid in DrivePool or do I need to figure out my BSOD problem when the Motherboard Raid is enabled? I noticed when I created the raid in windows it changes the disk from a basic disk to a dynamic disk. Does that have something to do with it? 

4 answers to this question

Upon further research I found that DrivePool clearly doesn't support dynamic disks.

DynamicDisk.png

My question at this point is if I solve my BSOD problem and go with a hardware raid will DrivePool be able to use the raided drive as one of its disks?

Thanks

Unfortunately, no we don't support Dynamic Disks. in a large part because of the added complexity to the balancing engine (which takes phsyical disks into account for duplication), and because of way that Windows handles them (weirdly...)

That said, you cannot just swtich the controller mode on your system in place. Doing so will likely cause BSOD's as you've seen.

You would either need to reinstall ..... or maybe use a hack to switch the controller's mode in Windows:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation

This may allow you to switch the mode without BSODING or reinstalling.