Assigning a drive letter to folder

goobee

Question

Hello All,

I am trying to assign drive letters to folders within DrivePool using the SUBST command.  It creates the drive letter assignments but I can't relabel the drives, they all show as "DrivePool".  Any attempt to rename them returns an invalid volume label error message. I want to be able to label them as "Video", "Audio", "Pictures", etc. 

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

5 answers to this question

What command are you using specifically, so I can test this out.

Also, why do you need to mount the folders to disk letters? Why not use the pool drive directly?

If there is an app that is having issues with the pool, then let us know.

Also, why not map "\\localhost\x$\folder" to a drive letter? (where "x" is the drive letter of your pool, and "folder" is the full folder path)

I currently have my files on an external RAID 5 box with a separate partition for each file type (Video, Audio, Pictures, etc).  I'd like to be able to switch over to DrivePool and continue accessing my files the same way as it's set up on the RAID box.  I know that a mapped drive will work but I like being able to select the folder as a drive letter.

The SUBST command is used in this manner:

To create a new mapping:

subst x: C:\Folder\Example

Where x = the drive letter you want to use

and

C:\Folder\Example = Drive and Path of the folder you want to use

To remove a mapping:

subst x: /D

D = Delete

You'll want to check out this then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUBST#Custom_label

It looks like the drives don't support the volume label in the same way. 

ALso... it appears that on server 2012R2 and WIndows 8.1, these drives don't show up in explorer at all.

And aside from keeping stuff the same, why not just use "X:\Videos", "X:\Music", etc? It 

Thanks for pointing me to that wiki, I removed the DrivePool label and I can now assign local labels.  I rarely reboot my machine but if I have to, I created a batch file to auto load the drive letters.

I had a big loading delay issue with DrivePool but I removed Avast after reading the other posts on similar issues and it works now.  I really hate using Norton but it's better than going bare.