Question about Drivepool space

Bobby

Question

So i am new to stablebit, upgrading from WHS v1 with drive extender (of course) to WHS 2012 essentials R2. I have had 2.7 TB worth of storage space on WHS V1 and another 1.4TB worth of storage still free (on v1 pIE CHART) for about a month now and did a final backup of all folders on it, then upgraded to essentials yesterday, Installed stablebit and created a drive with all 4 hard drives ( so it equaled out to basically the same size DATA drive)and  I have the same hard drives and the same size folders as I had when I did my final backup off V1 and just copied and pasted to essentials and I am out of storage paste half way through the pasting procedure with it only making 4x copies of Folder duplication. ???? Am i lost on a setting that I didnt apply or is this right.???

- I assumed that V1 copied to all 4 hard drives ( so 4 copy's) of files on each hard drive so I applied that to drivepool. Am I wrong?

I see that it copy's everything to each hard drive, but 1 hard drive on the pool is smaller than the others. so when it fills obviously before the others it gives me a message saying hard drive full, duplication cannot happen on files and it shows me the list. How come this didnt happen on V1.

Thanks Bobby

1 answer to this question

First of all, by default, duplication only creates the 2 copies of the files, unless you specify a higher amount.

However, we don't differentiate between original or copy, so when we list "duplicated" data, thats ALL of that data that is duplicated (both the original and copy). 

Additionally, when you add data to the pool, it is placed on the disk with the most available free space. This measured absolutely, and not based on percentage.  This means that we may not use a smaller drive right away. 

As for WHSv1, it tended to fill up one disk at a time instead of spreading out that data like this.

However, if you do have 4x duplication enabled, then it will use four times the space on the pool. So if you have 2.7TBs worth of data... you'll need almost 11TBs of disk space in your pool.