A question about pool usage and the "Other" space

TimM

Question

I somewhat understand that "other" is everything else, a bunch of stuff that I don't really know what it is.  What I don't get is why it is nearly as big as my actual data.  Looking at my pie chart it shows that i have 6.81TB total.  Duplicated: 3.50TB which tells me that my actual data is 1.75TB.  "Other" is 1.06TB.  That sounds extremely large to me.  When I had a Windows Home Server V1 it never showed anything like that.   Would I be better off with some type of RAID or cutting the pool in half, putting data on one half and backing it up to the other half?  Sure seems like a lot of wasted space for "Other".

3 answers to this question

I've split and locked the thread to keep it clean on very focused. I apologize for any issues there.

However, for reference, this is about:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/37-faq-unduplicated-vs-duplicated-vs-other-vs-unusable/&do=findComment&comment=6570

I think I've already answered that in a ticket, but I'll answer here again.

The 1TB of "other" definitely seems off.

If you haven't already, "remeasure" the pool. This should hopefully update the contents.

Specifically, once the pool is measured, we just update the information as data is added. So if it's off to start off with, it will stay that way until another remeasure is triggered (removing or adding a disk, manually, a missing disk, resetting the settings, etc).

Additionally, disk errors can cause this to be miss reported. If you think that is the case, then let us know.

Regards

I've remeasured several times and it didn't make a difference.  I came here to see if anyone had any suggestions.  Since you suggested yet another remeasure I did.  Sure enough, it's now 265GB.  Odd but better.  Guess I'll just remeasure every once in awhile.  Is there away to have DrivePool do a remeasure on a schedule?  Daily, weekly etc? 

Tim,

What OS are you using, and what version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

As for remeasuring, the driver automatically updates the information "on the fly" when adding/removing/modifying the data, so there shouldn't be a need to schedule this.

However, if you are experiencing issues, then we want to FIX it rather that work around it.