Slow Drive Write Speed on DrivePool

pofo14

Question

Hello,

I recently got around to setting up my SuperMicro DAS (link below). I purchased a Dell 200e card, popped it into my PC connected the cables and everything just "worked". I added two brand new drives they were picked up immediately and everything seemed to be working OK. Both new drives were fully scanned by StableBit Scanner and had no issue's reported.  The initial scan took a very, very long time (weeks).  Once it completed, I added the drives into Drivepool, and everything was working as expected.

I noticed last night that copying a simple 8GB file took around 45 minutes. This prompted my to perform some tests with Crystal Mark - and it confirmed I am getting extremely slow read / write speeds on both drives in the DAS. This may have been happening since the first setup - as most of my downloading / copying is automated, so I may not have noticed it right away.

I am looking for some help / assistance on steps to troubleshoot this. I have done basic steps such as restarted the main PC and checked the cable connections.  I have seen that if this card is not flashed into IT mode that the drives can be passed in to the host all as RAID 0, but I don't know how to tell if that is the case.  I can see all SMART details in Scanner, which leads me that they are just being passed through in JDOB.

If this card is not the best option, I am option to suggestions, as I got it cheap and can replace it.

Thanks in advance

DAS:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847E16-RJBOD1

Card:

https://techmikeny.com/products/dell-perc-h200-raid-controller?gclid=CjwKCAjw55-HBhAHEiwARMCszoj7JQn9sxgIKKLSGurUBgxjWLtMf026BR4-tJH9sM_tsm4rC-KVWBoCdOYQAvD_BwE

CrystalMark Results:

CrystalDiskMark 5.2.1 x64 (C) 2007-2017 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]

* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 64.519 MB/s

Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1.073 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1.154 MB/s [ 281.7 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 0.232 MB/s [ 56.6 IOPS]

Sequential Read (T= 1) : 22.636 MB/s

Sequential Write (T= 1) : 5.869 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 0.579 MB/s [ 141.4 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 0.315 MB/s [ 76.9 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [F: 0.0% (0.3/5589.0 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]

Date : 2021/07/09 9:19:29

1 answer to this question

That's a nice looking chassis you have. 45 HDD's - nirvana! But let me say that I really don't know much about your type of setup because I have never used one. What has me most confused is that your card is for a RAID system. Do you have your controller card and chassis to run in a RAID system, or are your drives listed separately in file explorer?

AFAI, DrivePool was designed to work with regular NTFS drives in a non-RAID environment. I have about 19 HDDs connected via USB 3.0 on my system, and it works fine. But I do not know how DrivePool would talk to a RAID controller. So I might be totally off base, but since nobody else has chimed in on your concern, I would be looking at RAID card and maybe that is slowing down your transfer speeds. 

FWIW, my USB 3.0 drives can transfer data about 120 MBs from my SSD to the archive drives. All my USB 3.0 drives are standalone drives, but I don't have drive letters assigned to the pool drives because DrivePool does not require drive letters.

I hope someone can help you. DrivePool is a great software program, but I suspect you might have a hardware issue somewhere with your setup.