DrivePool + CloudDrive integration question

darkly

Question

I want to set something up a particular way but I'm not sure how to go about it, or if it's even possible. Maybe someone with more experience with more complex setups could offer some insight?

Say I have two separate CloudDrives, each mounted to their own dedicated cache drives (let's call them drives X and Y). Both X and Y are SSDs. Let's also say I have the target cache size for each CloudDrive set to 50% of their respective cache drive's total capacity; for instance, if drive X is 1 TB, the CloudDrive mounted to it has its target cache size set to 500GB. This means (ignoring the time it takes to transfer and any emptying of the cache that happens during that time) at any point I can upload 500GB to that drive before the cache drive is full and I have to wait to upload more. We'll come back to this in a second.

I also have a large number of high capacity HDDs. I plan to pool them in DrivePool. Let's assume I have 4 10TB HDDs. I could pool these into two sets of two. Each pool would then have a total capacity of 20TB. Now I want to use these HDDs as sort of a "cache overflow" for the CloudDrives. In other words, if I attempt to transfer data onto the CloudDrive that exceeds the respective cache drive's available capacity, the data in excess would be stored on the HDD pool instead. Now obviously this is quite simple if I do what I just stated and make two separate pools of HDDs. I can then pool each HDD pool with one SSD and be done. Using the example sizes given previously, that would then give each CloudDrive 20.5TB of unused space available to cache any uploads.

However, this doesn't seem very efficient for me, mainly due to one factor. I'm rarely writing to both CloudDrives at the same time. What would be far more efficient is if I could put all the HDDs into one pool, and then put that one pool into two pools simultaneously. One pool with the HDD pool + Drive X, and another pool with the same HDD pool + Drive Y. Unfortunately, this is not possible, as DrivePool only allows drives (and pools) to be in one pool at a time. If this were possible though, that would give each CloudDrive potentially up to 40.5TB of unused space immediately available for caching.

One potential workaround I was considering (but have not attempted yet) is to first pool all the HDDs together, and then to use CloudDrive in Local Disk mode to create two CloudDrives, both using the HDD pool as the backing media (rather than a cloud storage platform). Then pooling each CloudDrive with an SSD, and finally using the resulting pools as the cache for each of the two original CloudDrives. The main thing that worries me about this approach though is excessive I/O and how much that would bottleneck my transfer speeds. It seems like an excessively overkill approach to this very simple problem, and I seriously hope there's a simpler workaround. Of course, this could be a lot easier if DrivePool allowed drives to be in multiple pools, and I'm not quite sure why this limitation exists in the first place, since it looks like the contents of a DrivePool are just determined by the contents of a special folder placed on the drive itself. Couldn't you have two of those folders on a drive? Maybe someone can enlighten me on that as well.

I hope I've been clear enough in describing my problem. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet