Is deleting files functional? How is it handled?

Salt

Question

I downloaded CloudDrive to demo it and see how it performs... I made a drive on my local disk, added ~10GB of files, waited for it to "upload", and then when I was done, I deleted the same files out of the cloud drive.  I waited several days and both the CloudDrive cache and the actual folder on disk were still 10GB.  Does deleting files work at all?  Is there an extra step I am missing?  My concern is if I were to make a Cloud Drive on some kind of bucket service and end up paying for storage that I'm not using because I thought the files were deleted... and you can't delete things manually when everything is chunked and encrypted.

1 answer to this question

On 9/19/2020 at 6:16 PM, Salt said:

I downloaded CloudDrive to demo it and see how it performs... I made a drive on my local disk, added ~10GB of files, waited for it to "upload", and then when I was done, I deleted the same files out of the cloud drive.  I waited several days and both the CloudDrive cache and the actual folder on disk were still 10GB.  Does deleting files work at all?  Is there an extra step I am missing?  My concern is if I were to make a Cloud Drive on some kind of bucket service and end up paying for storage that I'm not using because I thought the files were deleted... and you can't delete things manually when everything is chunked and encrypted.

Note that deleting files off of the drive and deleting the drive itself are not the same thing. Simply removing files off of the file system of the drive will not remove the drive data from your provider, because a drive of X capacity still exists, just like removing files off of your physical drive does not cause it to physically shrink. If you want to remove the storage files located on the provider then you have to either shrink the drive or destroy it.

Also note that, with CloudDrive, the "files" stored on the provider are not representative of the files stored on the drive in the first place. They are chunks of data that comprise the drive structure that CloudDrive uses to store information. Once they exist on the provider, there is no need to delete them unless the drive structure itself changes. CloudDrive will simply overwrite and modify them as data is added and removed.