Google Drive with API Key upload performance?

JasonC

Question

I've configured Google Drive to use a custom API key I believe, based on Q7941147. It connects fine, so I think that's ok, but I'm still only seeing 1.54Mbps upload. While I don't have symmetric fiber, I do have a lot more bandwidth than that(I've capped the upload at 20 Mbps, but really it doesn't matter so far!). It also seems to be nailed to exactly that number, which makes me feel like it's an enforced cap. What kind of performance should I be expecting? I can get much more (in line with what I'm expecting) when I use rclone, which I'm also using OAuth for (different credentials).

Do I need to unmount and remount the drive for that to take effect? I deleted the original connection already, which the drive was built on, so the only connection I can see is the one I made since I modified the json file. I'm reasonably sure the new connection is good, since I didn't quote the strings original so CloudDrive threw an error. Once I fixed that, it seemed fine. But I am not clear if maybe the drive itself still has cached the connection it was originally made with? It didn't seem to error when I deleted the original and made a new one, so I got a little suspicious as to if it's using the new one or not.

I don't think I'll be able to consider CloudDrive viable with Google Drive if I can't get more upload performance than that though!

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Once you've reauthorized the drive or reestablished the connection after modifying the JSON file, you should be using the new key. There shouldn't be anything else to do.

As far as performance is concerned, I've never seen a difference between using a personal key and the default key. Google may have changed something since the last time I used a personal key, but there was no difference whatsoever.

Do you see any API errors in your logs? If there is something API related impacting throughput, it should be in the logs.

For what it's worth, there really isn't a compelling reason to use a personal API key over the default key. I'd probably just suggest switching back to the default key if it is, for some reason, giving you issues. You can always switch to your personal key when and if the default key actually hits capacity or experiences some other issue. But that hasn't been happening any time recently.

8 hours ago, srcrist said:

As far as performance is concerned, I've never seen a difference between using a personal key and the default key. Google may have changed something since the last time I used a personal key, but there was no difference whatsoever.

Do you see any API errors in your logs? If there is something API related impacting throughput, it should be in the logs.

The main reason it seemed like a good idea to use my own key is that the rclone documentation specifically mentions using your own key, as the rclone internal key is low performance. Seeing the capped performance I was getting, I had just figured that it was something similar happening with CloudDrive.

I'll check the logs and see if I'm still having the slow uploads tomorrow.

Thanks!

:huh: Well, found the problem. Didn't really put together what having an I/O default in the app settings implied...and just found that the I/O settings for the drive are at 1.5Mbps. I must have set it to that when I first installed and configured, and didn't realize what I had done at the time.

So...I've also just reverted to the generic key, so I'll see how that goes.

Thanks!