Multiple google drive for drivepool question

alienmare

Question

I think my questions better fits here and I don't seems to be able to find an answer yet, so assuming I have 6 google drive account (Don't ask how and why =) ) and I'm making them as cloud drive with 10TB each, currently I use 3 cloud drive as one pool (with 3x duplication) for plex media and another 3 cloud drives (with 3x duplication) for other stuff that I would like to backup on the cloud. My question is, should I really split them into 2 pool (with 3x each duplication) or should i pool all 6 cloud drive account into one giant pool and manage them using 3 or even 4 file duplication? Thing is all my data are currently store in my unraid server which I cannot mount them to drivepool (and I don't want to use iscsi). So all I really want is more like a back up of all my data but I still need redundancy incase google stop any of my account or cloud drive get corrupted like before or any other reason that I might lost some data from some of drive. so i really want to know which way will give me better performance on both upload and download assuming bandwidth is not a problem (and within the 750gb google limit)...anyone can give me a hint on this? and sorry for my pool English hope you guys understand what I'm talking about..hehe

2 answers to this question

I'm just not sure that you're asking a question with an answer. That's probably why people are slow to respond. What you're asking here is sort of subjective by nature, and there isn't a "correct" answer to give you. It's your call how you want to structure your pool, and there aren't any notable performance difference to any particular option, as far as I can think of.

My first thought is that it honestly seems like overkill and an inefficient use of your time as it stands already, and that I certainly wouldn't put any more time into even *more* pools with *additional* duplication. If I'm reading you correctly, all of the data is backed up up to your unraid server as it is. I'd probably just use a single cloud drive to provide 1x redundancy to the unraid and call it a day. Nothing that you truly cannot afford to lose should ever be trusted to consumer grade cloud storage in the first place, and I don't think any number of accounts or any pool structure is really going to improve that--at least not with the same provider and same service. If anything, it's probably just making it more likely that Google will shut down your (or everyone's) accounts for abuse.

But, again, that isn't a "correct" answer, it's just a personal opinion. The six separate Google accounts and the concern about getting them shut down suggests to me that they are not all legitimate, paid, accounts for which the terms of service are being abided. And that, honestly, is a far bigger risk to your data than any advice anyone can give you here can mitigate. Google nukes resold accounts and illegitimate .edu accounts fairly regularly, and nothing we can say here will save your data from that. My advice would be to get one, legitimate, paid Google account and use it to backup your unraid 1x.