Enabling duplication for an existing drive

omniaton

Question

I have a pool of local hard drives and a cloud drive. The cloud drive is a mirror of the pool using a nightly synchronization script but I want to start using DrivePool because of its real time sync. If I were to add the cloud drive to the pool and enable duplication, will DrivePool recognize the files on my Clouddrive as duplicates? If it does or doesn't, what other settings should I change to ensure the Clouddrive mirrors the other local drives. Lastly, if everything is duplicated and I turn off duplication, will DrivePool remove the files and only keep one copy in total? For example, all the files on my Clouddrive are deleted and the local drive keeps the files or vice versa. If that's the case, how would I safely turn off duplication and keep both copies. Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

It wouldn't recognize the data unless you "seeded" the pool.  This should then recognize the data as duplicated, in theory. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

And yes, if you turn off duplication, it will remove one set of the files, so that it's at the correct level of duplication (or off).