Making the LanmanServer dependant on the DrivePool service

Pancakes

Question

I sometimes have a problem where I reboot my server, and it loses all the shares. I suspect this is happening because my fileserver is starting up so fast, its having to wait on DrivePool

I found a similar problem unrelated to Drivepool here: https://serverfault.com/questions/752895/windows-2008-r2-shares-disappear-on-reboot

It looks like the fix was to make the LanmanServer service dependant on the (In this case) Drobo service using this commant:

sc config LanmanServer depend= SamSS/Srv/DDServer

If I want to do this for DrivePool, what is the correct service I would add? And does anyone see any problems with doing this?

4 answers to this question

Nope.

There are two parts to the software, the system service, and the driver.  The driver is loaded MUCH sooner in the bootup process, and should be present before the LanManServer service loads up. 

As for adding dependencies .... I would actually recommend the "Automatic (Delayed)" option. This added a minute or two delay to the start, giving the system more time to startup.  

The reason for this .... if you uninstall the Drobo software, your network shares will break. Outright.