Checking Cloud Data

eldite

Question

Hi 

First of all, what a great product.  There is just nothing else out there remotely similar to this.   I've purchased 2 licenses now!    I do have a couple of questions though

I'm migrating my data to the cloud, it's going to take several weeks, but that's fine.    The other day, we had a power cut, the UPS couldn't take it and the server shut down.   When it started back up, the CloudDrive wasn't attached any more and I had to Re-Attach it.   It warned me that an existing computer was still using it (which it wasn't, but I can see why it did that).   Then when it re-attached, it cleared my cache drive. 

It appears as though everything that was queued to upload has fully uploaded and I'm not sure that is actually the case.  I think it is possible that the FAT shows the files there, but they're not really there, I've tried a few files to test this theory and they were fine, but there are too many to open every file individually to test them.   

Is there some way to verify the data that is there?  Would Stablebit scanner help with this at all?  I was thinking of checking the first 1MB of each file or something - validating the full file or performing a CRC over all data is impractical due to volume of data and available bandwidth. 

I've got 334GB queued to upload right now according to Stablebit CloudDrive (total local usage), but the size on disk of my cache disk for this data is 374GB.   Is that normal?  It seems unusual. 

I'm on 1.0.0.463, my cloud drive is with Google. 

Cheers

3 answers to this question

Ah, yeah, "invalid file links" definitely indicate a problem with the file system. And that *could* cause it to dismount. 

And I'd recommend doing this sooner rather than later. 

if you're using Windows 8/10, you can use "chkdsk x: /scan" (where "x:" is the drive in question) to scan the disk online. It will fix what it can, but that may not be everything. 

As for the beta versions, yes. I'd recommend the 1.0.0.722 build.

1. It shouldn't have dismounted. That's odd.  It should stay mounted, and then recheck the cache.

However, if there was an issue with the underlying disk (which is ENTIRELY possible, based on what you've said), it could do this, if it corrupted the cache storage. 

As for checking the disk, running "chkdsk" should be all you need to do. 

2. Yes. You probably have ~40GB of locally cached content, and then the 334GB of "to upload" data. 

Thank you for your response.  Yes there could have (and likely were) issues with the cache disk due to the power.  I ran a chkdsk and it picked up some invalid file links.   It wants to unmount the disk to fix them, so I'll do that later, but looks like it will sort that out. 

The cache is only 500MB.  CloudDrive shows 208 Local data now (incl cache, to-upload and pinned), but size on disk is 280GB.  I'll see what it shows when it's finished uploading. 

Would you recommend upgrading to the latest version from the Wiki, is it just as stable as any other version? I didn't realize there were so many newer releases available when I started with it. 

Cheers