file copying stops after a few seconds and drops to zero speed

incadar

Question

running windows 10 64bit and latest drive pool version.

machine has separate drive for OS and i can copy multiple large video files from external USB and over network to this drive but when i try to copy to my drive pool drive array from network or USB then runs for maybe 20 or 30 secs, drops to zero and seems to freeze. Drive pool interface then wont open up and machine seems to partially lock up and i have to reboot from power switch.

any help appreciated

log file attached

last file to stop was banshee s1o1 and stopped with reading of 355KB

10 answers to this question

You're using Windows 10 64-bit, but what version of StableBit DrivePool are you using specifically?  This should be listed in it's UI (at the bottom).  The public versions are 2.1.1.561 (stable) and 2.2.0.651 (public beta), but we have a lot more internal builds, as well. 

Also, as for the performance issue, do you have any antivirus, backup or disks tools installed on either system? 

Could you post the results of this http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

And could you enable file system logging and reproduce the issue?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Additionally could you list all of the disks that you're using in the pool? 

The simple way would be to head over to BitFlock (one of our websites), run the utility and post the ID.  That way I can take a look at all of the disks and their health. Just in case. 

https://bitflock.com/

HI 

version is 2.1.1.561 version direct from website

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
© 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fltmc

Filter Name                     Num Instances    Altitude    Frame
------------------------------  -------------  ------------  -----
WdFilter                               23       328010         0
storqosflt                              0       244000         0
FileCrypt                               0       141100         0
luafv                                   1       135000         0
npsvctrig                               1        46000         0
FileInfo                               23        45000         0
Wof                                    10        40700         0

above results first step

i have enabled logging and tried another file copy and go same error , it stops and drops to 355bytes but freezes after about 20 to 30 seconds.

server is on a superyacht cruising off bali so have to wait till better  internet to run https://bitflock.com/  however stablebit scanner is not showing any errors

ill update when i get them

cheers

Unfortunately, no SMART data from most of the drives.  Which is .... odd. 

Also, they're showing up as 2TB rather than the correct size (3TB WD Reds, from the look of it. They should show up as 2.74TB drives, not 2TB. 

Though, what would help the most is grabbing the file system logging. I'm not seeing it uploaded on our account. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

This is a kernel level log and should get a detailed accounting of what is going on. 

Enable logging, reproduce the issue and disable logging as soon as possible after it occurs. 

Hi 

the drive size is and issue i belive with the LSI expander card, i was actually given a fix before from covecube for another machine with the same problem a few years back.

sorry i forgot to attach log file, have just tryed but it says max file 655 and mine is 1700k?

ok deleted earlier file, now attached

Service.zip

For the drive size, it could be. The internal beta builds of StableBit Scanner would fix that (2.5.2.3121 is the latest), most likely. 

As for the logs, I've flagged it for Alex who will take a look when he's able to.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27113

Also, in the meanwhile could you upgrade to the latest internal beta and see if that helps?

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.681_x64_BETA.exe

ok i have updated to beta for both drive pool and scanner, no changes

scanner still reads as 2GB but size in pool is ok for 3TB drives, also no temp reading.

had this problem years ago and fixed  but cannot remember exactly.

Card is LSI 3000 series 8 port with 1068E

also copying still locks up after a few seconds, i tried copying form internal SSD to array some large video files but locked up.

could this possibly be a license issue with copying blocked as recently i had all my licenses canceled and then i reactivated. just a guess!!

Has Alex had a chance to check logs?

Ah, that may be why. The LSI card may be misreporting info, and we may be reading the "wrong" info then.  

Otherwise, you may need to enable the "Unsafe Direct IO" option 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Card is LSI 3000 series 8 port with 1068E

also copying still locks up after a few seconds, i tried copying form internal SSD to array some large video files but locked up.

could this possibly be a license issue with copying blocked as recently i had all my licenses canceled and then i reactivated. just a guess!!

If you mean the StableBit DrivePool license, then no, not related.

But are you having issues copying from the internal SSD to the pooled disks (not the pool itself)? 

If you do, that may actually be a controller related issue, and not the pool.  And in that case.... you may want to check the cables and card.

And no, unfortunately Alex hasn't a chance to check the logs yet. 

i only have remote access to server until yacht returns , i cant of course rule it out but i dont think its the controller. Server currently still in use sharing data to 10 kodi based players and working fine, problem is only when we try to add any data to the pool form any source, SSD, Network or USB drive we get above issue.

would really appreciate if someone could check logs and would happily pay from premium support if needed?

Alex is the one that would look at the logs.  They're rather technical in nature (as it is kernel level logging). 

However, are all of your disks connected the LSI controller that you mentioned? 

If you're not sure, you can check in Device Manager ("sort by connection" basically), or you can use StableBit Scanner to group "By Controller" (right click the column header, and select "By Controller" ) 

And if you have StableBit Scanner installed on the system, you can actually watch the performance.  Right click on the column headers and enable "Performance" and "Disk Queue".   Watch these while the copies are occuring. 

If the performance is dipping on one or more of these drives, run the "Burst Test" on the disk and see if that is getting a stable connection. 

Also, check the disk queue "length".  This number should never exceed the number of "platters" in the disk.  If it does, it may meant that the disk is being overworked, and that something else is accessing the disk. 

Also, in StableBit DrivePool, click on "Pool Options" and "Performance".  Try turning off the "Read Striping" feature, and make sure the "Network IO Boost" option is disabled as well. 

If the performance returns to normal after doing this, let me know.