I'm So Mad Right Now

RJGNOW

Question

Man I'm pissed, my 2 year old HP G7 N54L motherboard failed, and they are crazy if they think I'm going to spend that much on replacing that motherboard. Arrrrrg..

So I now have to build up a new computer, this time I'M going to build my own.. WHS 2011, ~46TB Single Storage Pool, Stable bit 2.0,

I have a couple of questions on how to do this correctly:

1) How do I de-activate my Lic. since I can't start up the computer?

While I'm at this, I'm going to change my eSATA 8 bay storage bay (Connector is flaky), with a USB 3.0 8 Bay Storage bay, and I'm getting rid of a 5 bay storage bay, and moving those drives to the new server.

2) Given the above, what is my best game plan on moving all these drives?

Here is the build Basics.

Silverstone Case

ASRock C2550D4I Motherboard

Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 8 Bay Storage

6 answers to this question

First, I am very sorry to hear about the hardware failure, as that is never a pleasant experience.  And I can absolutely understand your anger (I have two systems that are having bizarre hardware issues....). 

As for the license i can deactivate that on our end. It will free it up to be activated on new hardware.  However, taking a quick look, you have multiple licenses so this isn't simple. And for the sake of privacy, please open a ticket here: https://stablebit.com/Contact. 

I'll handle the request there (if you know the old system's name, that would make it much simpler). 

As for the externals... ironically, eSATA is more stable as a standard. But this also depends on the chipset use for the eSATA controller.  But either should work okay. And internal is best. 

As for moving the pool, once you've installed the disks and the software, StableBit DrivePool will see the pooled disks and automatically attempt to recreate the pool with all of the pooled disks available. It will measure the disks, and run a duplication pass. 

You will need to re-setup balancing settings (such as file placement rules), but the contents and duplication status will remain intact. 

And if you're using WHS2011.  then you will want to download the WSS Troubleshooter utility. Run it on the server and select the "Rebuild DrivePool Shares" option. This will automatically reshare the pooled locations, bypassing the dashboard's issues with moving shares to locations with existing data.

And those Silverstone cases are very nice. 4x 2.5" bays, and 8x 3.5" bays.  A great SFF case with a lot of storage room.