Pool Disk Alignment

ZrC

Question

I have an older pool made years ago (MBR by defualt) which is around 80TB now with no performance issues. AS SSD shows it being aligned correctly.

post-2088-0-94996300-1456585395_thumb.png

I created a new pool on the latest build and by default it was created as GPT. This pool consists of SSDs but shows as not aligned properly (individual SSDs are aligned properly). I have very poor small write performance on the pooled drive, using the drives in standalone mode functions without issue.

post-2088-0-80793500-1456585377_thumb.png

All disks on the server are currently GPT (aside from the older Pool which was created as MBR)

1 answer to this question

The disk for the pool is an emulated drive. The alignment for it doesn't matter, as it's essentially arbitrarily reported information. 

Also, if you're seeing poor write performance from the pool using this utility, that may be why. 

The driver passes all IO requests to the individual disks into the pool, and it may not respond properly to some of the commands used by the utility (or because of how StableBit DrivePool works, it may actually skew the results). For instance, all writes are done in parallel, if the data is duplicated. That means that a single slower drive can drop the write speeds. 

If you want, enable logging, reproduce the issue, and send us the logs:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

We'll take a look at it and see what is going on.