Considering SSD optimizer

r-tech73

Question

I have a LONG working DrivePool server recently upgraded to Windows 10.   It has now about 15 drives and is a roughly 32TB Pool fully duplicated.

I have a couple of extra 40GB SSD drives that have some usage hours on them that I was considering using as landing drives for my server.   Do you think this will be enough?   My pool is basically for movies/photos/etc., and I don't throw a lot of files at a time at it, certainly never more than 40GB in a single copy!

Are there any pitfalls or issues that I might encounter by doing this?   Is this something that I can fairly safely add to a functioning pool without destruction?   

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

It really depends on your usage.  And you'd want the "SSD Optimizer" balancer plugin from here: https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

You should be able to do so regardless, as if the theshold for the drives (75%, so 30GBs) is exceeded, it will fall back onto the archive drives.

So, if you do add these drives, I'd recommend setting the balancing ratio slider in the balancing settings to "100%" so it aggressively moves files off of these disks. And in the SSD Optimizer balancer settings, increase the ratio to 90+%.