HWiNFO causing my hard drives to go “missing” with DrivePool..?

Fox01

Question

So I’m sure in doing something wrong lol but whenever I open HWiNFO a good portion of my hard drives go missing with DrivePool.

i have to reboot Windows to have DrivePool to rediscover them.

I have my hard drives spread across both internal and external with a hard drive enclosure. Totaling about 30 drives. 

My system is newly built, I’m running on Windows 11 and a i7-13700K with 32GBs of memory and a MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk WiFi motherboard.

My guess is it has something to do with HWiNFO clearing “buffers” though I’m not sure what buffers it’s clearing, but that or close to when that happens is when the drives go missing.

Any help with be great or pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

That's very odd.  And I can't reproduce locally.  

Most likely, this is an issue with the drivers for the drives/enclosure, and hwinfo causing it to crash the driver/controller. 

I'm guessing that this happens regardless if StableBit DrivePool is installed or not? 

If so, then you may want to check for updated drivers and/or firmware for the system, and see if that helps.

10 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

That's very odd.  And I can't reproduce locally.  

Most likely, this is an issue with the drivers for the drives/enclosure, and hwinfo causing it to crash the driver/controller. 

I'm guessing that this happens regardless if StableBit DrivePool is installed or not? 

If so, then you may want to check for updated drivers and/or firmware for the system, and see if that helps.

I haven’t tried DrivePool uninstalled, will check later tonight and report.

I’ll check if there’s any updated firmware or drivers for my system.

Thanks.

On 2/28/2024 at 7:15 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Welcome!  And if it helps, I'm using an old... old Haswell based system (Xeon E3-1245v3), and an LSI SAS 2008 based card (9240-8i).  Ran HWiNFO64, loaded without issues, showed verything, and no drive crashes.   Which is why I suspect that it's a system config related issue.

So some update, I’m still having the same issue, but I looked into the settings of HWiNFO and there was an option to disable clearing of the flush buffers and disable the SATA drive scan, everything opened without any issues after I disable those options.

i just wanted to say I did reinstall windows because I was having other issues that were unrelated to this so when I disabled these setting was after the reinstall and a fully updated, I had to disable these setting because the same issue was happening even after the full reinstall and update.

and to note the only time the drives would go missing was when DrivePool was installed and default settings for HWiNFO where used.