DrivePool service keeping disks awake

Gnarfoz

Question

Hi,

there seems to be a problem with the DrivePool service (directly or via WMI) periodically querying drives (even non-pool drives) for some information, thus preventing them from going into standby mode.

The queries happen in a 5-second interval (when looking at WMI) or 15-second interval (when looking at the DrivePool service itself).

They actually show up as I/O activity in for example StableBit Scanner or Process Hacker/Explorer or even just Windows' Task Manager.

If I stop the service, this behavior stops (both WMI and direct queries disappear) and drives spin down as intended.

What does the service even do? It does not seem to affect pool operation at all. Granted, I'm really only using the basic pooling feature, no duplication or anything else.

Versions:

Windows 10

DrivePool 2.2.0.649

I've attached a filtered (DeviceIoControl operations only) SysInternals Process Monitor log showing the behavior:

drivepool_service.zip

Also, screenshots:

http://imgur.com/oG6JMfI- I/O spikes every couple of seconds

http://imgur.com/qJySOBy- Process Monitor

http://imgur.com/JKQtEwa- StableBit Scanner

4 answers to this question

Huh, I must have missed the email notification or something. Good thing I remembered to check the old-fashioned way! :-)

Changing that setting works.

The service still doing something every 15 seconds, but whatever that is it's not waking up the pool drives.

(It's actually the same thing that shows being attributed to the service itself in my Process Monitor screenshot, vs the stuff attributed to wmiprvse.exe.)

Is this something we need to keep in mind?

Or will there be some kind of "oh, this pool contains a BitLocker device" detection at some point?

Thanks in any case! :-)

Huh, I must have missed the email notification or something. Good thing I remembered to check the old-fashioned way! :-)

Changing that setting works.

The service still doing something every 15 seconds, but whatever that is it's not waking up the pool drives.

(It's actually the same thing that shows being attributed to the service itself in my Process Monitor screenshot, vs the stuff attributed to wmiprvse.exe.)

Is this something we need to keep in mind?

Or will there be some kind of "oh, this pool contains a BitLocker device" detection at some point?

Thanks in any case! :-)

Specifically, we do query about the bitlocker status, IIRC.  And that may be through WMI (whence the WMI Provider Service, wmiprvse.exe process).  Unfortunately, because of how BitLocker works (the volumes are presented, but may not be accessible), I'm not sure there is an easy way to resolve this issue in a satisfactory manner for everyone.