Delay before files open (SSD)

bitfidelity

Question

This happens pretty rarely, but sometimes when I try to open a file on my DrivePool (all SSDs, identical Crucial models), it'll take many seconds to open. What it feels like, exactly, is if I was trying to open a file on an HDD that had spun down. Anyone else experience this? I'm pretty sure I've run into this with both image and video files, so filetype probably has less to do with it. I also checked that my power settings were correct in Windows.

1 answer to this question

On 10/8/2023 at 10:06 AM, bitfidelity said:

This happens pretty rarely, but sometimes when I try to open a file on my DrivePool (all SSDs, identical Crucial models), it'll take many seconds to open.

Unless it's somewhat reproducible, this may be hard to track down, but doesn't necessarily seem like a DP issue.

You could post some additional information about your configuration, but I'm not sure that would help either.  Specific crucial product?  Windows version? PC RAM?  page file settings?  How often are you maxing out the system when this happens?  (CPU, RAM, background tasks, etc).  You could also run something like CrystalDiskInfo to check the health of the SSDs.  How is DP configured (No duplication, 2x duplication, etc.)?  Are these SSDs just data or do they also have the OS/boot partition?

The only time I've seen my system sluggish to open a file from SSD is due to a known issue in Office 2013.  This doesn't sound like your problem as your example is media files.