Files in folders spread out over several HDDs - possible to fix / keep contents of folders on one disc?

thedarktower

Question

edit: It seems like this whole "files spread over several hdds" isn't actually happening all the time. The contents of most folders seem to be intact; only occasionally there's an empty folder of the same name or some missing files that are located on another disc. Very, very strange... Any idea why this is happening?

Hey all,

I've been using Drive Pool for a long time now but I've only now realised that all my files are spread out over all pooled harddisks. I know that when I save to H: (my pool) , stuff automatically gets dropped into whatever disc (2 external 1.5TB drives, 1 internal 1TB disc) is available first. BUT: When I have a folder with, let's say, 20 rar files or images or what-have-you, I would like them to stay in that folder, as in "Save to folder on whatever disc is available but please keep related stuff - aka items in one folder / subfolder - together!". 

IF I ever removed the discs from the pool, I'd be a nightmare to locate all the different files from every folder. "Ok, where are images 1-11, 17, 19, and 23???" / "Disc 1 has rar files 1-5, 24 and 39 but where's the rest???".

Maybe there's an easy option I've overlooked, maybe there's a plugin for that - anyway, I'd love to hear your advice. :)

1 answer to this question

Well, DrivePool places files on the disk with the most (absolute) free space. that means taht the 1.5TB drives will be filled first, until there is 1TB free, and then use all three disks.

So you may see files on the same disk.

As for keeping related files together, there are two ways to do this.

The Ordered File Placement Balancer plugin fills up one disk at a time (or two, with duplication enabled), and tends to/tries to keep the contents of a folder on the same disk.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

The other option is to use StableBit DrivePool 2.X and use the "File Placement Rules", and micromanage the folders.