Question about removing pool

icanrule

Question

So I am running low on space and I would prefer to just remove the existing drive pool and instead set up per folder pools.  

Question 1: Currently everything is stored on drive D:.  When I remove the existing pools will there still just be a drive D or will it separate it into other drives?  Considering that I have more files then can fit on 1 drive I can only assume that during this process that it will be split up on multiple drives.  What would be the simplest way to do this?  

Question 2: I know you were thinking about removing per folder duplication.  Is it still possible to do?  

I am asking these questions because my whole system runs based on the fact that everything is on the D drive.  The end result must be the same thing that everything is associated to drive D.  But I have decided I just want to duplicate my music and not my software which are both on D.  They need to remain on D after the process is down.  

Question 3: Can I expect any hickups during the process?  

1 answer to this question

First, I'm guessing that the D:\ drive is the DrivePool disk. It's not clear from what you have said. 

So, unless corrected, I'm going to assume it is here.

1. This depends on what exactly you plan on doing.
    But to completely remove a pool, you need to remove all the disks from the pool. This means that you need to empty it, and based on what you've said, that may be problematic for you.
    However, if you remove most of the disks, or at least some, you can then add those disks to a new pool. This would at least partially simplify things for you.

2. Depending on which OS and version of DrivePool you are using, you can absolutely set per folder duplication. It's one of the core features.
    If you're using StableBit DrivePool 2.X, open the UI, click on "Pool Options" and open the "File Protection" section. The "Folder duplication" option lets you specify which folders are duplicated and which are not. 
    So you could duplicate one folder, but not another. Or even enable duplication for a folder, and disable it for a sub-folder.

3. Depends on what you're trying to accomplish, but there shouldn't be too much of an issue.

However, why do you want do this? Specifically, what are you trying to accomplish here?