Deleting old Partitions

lottathought

Question

I spent the better part of 2 days trying to determine why 2 drives would not play nice in either Drivepool or Scanner.  I thought I would share my findings as it may help somebody with similar issues.

The backstory is that I am using some drives out of my old server in the new build.  The old system was a WHS Vers 1.

I would copy files from the hidden shares under DE..

I would then format the drive and attempt to put the drive in a pool.

I had 2 drives...  each had random issues going on.

One was the only drive in a pool. It allowed files to be loaded and offloaded with no problem. It was reporting an issue with Optimization however..and it would not correct.

I could not add any new drives to the pool...and it would not allow itself to be removed from the pool.

I actually pulled the drive...and it was still showing up in Scanner. And oddly enough,,,it reported a S/N...but the wrong one for the device.

I formated it over 10X...  I looked through the Drivepool and Scanner configs....nada.

The other drive would not be recognized...either by Scanner or Drivepool. It would show up in Windows....the OS would assign a letter...but it would not be recognized otherwise.

There turned out to be 1 fix for both.

I went into Disc Manager of Windows.  In each case, when I deleted the old Partitions and made new, Simple Partitions, it was like magic...both drives started functioning perfectly and showed up everywhere that they  were supposed to.

Formatting is not enough it appears.

As a rule now, unless I put in a new drive, I will always make a point to delete the partitons.  Something about the old Partitions. It seems that neither Drivepool nor Scanner like them.  It has not happened on every drive...but enough now that I am seeing a pattern. If you are having quirky issues with a drive, get the data off and try this if you never have. It might be the fix you are looking for.

1 answer to this question