• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Moving files from disk to disk - the best way?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HPLovecraft

HPLovecraft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

Hi All,

I'm back again with another potentially stupid question... The 'Pool on my home server contains the usual household shared folders: Documents; Pictures; Music; Videos - accessed from various client PCs, Plex on the Roku, Squeezeplayers etc. There are four HDDs in the pool, all files have 2 x duplication.

Because I'm a bit anal (and because I've been burned in the past) I use placement rules to force my folders onto the exact disks where I want them. So Documents & Pictures are duplicated on disks 1 & 3; Music & Videos are duplicated on disks 2 & 4. This allows me to ensure my files are duplicated on two different brands of HDD (a year or two ago a pair of Seagates that I bought at the same time, failed at the same time, teaching me a valuable lesson...).

Anyhoo, my Videos folder is getting very fat, so I'm a bit low on space on disks 2 & 4. No problem, I'll just move all my Music onto the same drives as Documents & Pictures (1 & 3), where there's plenty of room. How best to do this?

• My initial thought was to simply change the placement rules for the Music folder, and let DrivePool get on with it.
  • But is there any benefit at all in shutting down the DrivePool service and moving the folder myself? Then restarting DrivePool and changing the placement rules to match what I just did? A bit like the manual way we pre-seed drives? Unlike my pre-seeding, I'd be moving the folder onto two entirely different physical drives...

Told you it was a potentially stupid question!

cheers, Simon

• Ginoliggime likes this

#2 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 7,287 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

Either solution works, actually. 

Doing it yourself will be faster, for sure. But you'll need to remeasure the pool after doing this, as the contents are NOT tracked properly when doing this.

But again, just changing the rule should handle this automatically. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#3 HPLovecraft

HPLovecraft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the reply Christopher - reckon I'll leave it to DrivePool, simply so I can walk away and leave it to work without any attention.

I had to move a ton of files at work the other day, and did it in Windows Explorer. I went back hours later and found a dialog box awaiting my response!

cheers, Simon

#4 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 7,287 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

It's the simplest solution. :) 

And as for the dialog... I've been bitten by that more times than I care to admit.  So I totally understand the pain there.  Frustrating as hell. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users