Two SSDs in pool, about to replace both with M.2

JMM

Question

Good day, fellow DrivePool users.

First, my setup, in case it matters:  Windows 10 x64  2004, 128-GB RAM, DrivePool v2.2.3.1019, pool used solely to store Windows 10 Hyper-V VMs.

I currently have two 2-TB SSDs in the pool, which is duplicated, and the drives & pool are not quite 1/2 full.

I am about to install two new 2-TB M.2 drives, to replace the two SSDs.

When I add the two new M.2 drives, DrivePool will initially display them as Non-Pooled.

There are 2 ways that I can get the data from the existing two SSDs over to the two new M.2 drives before removing the existing SSDs, and I am inquiring at this time what would be the best, and especially safest, method.  I realize that it will take a while for this process to complete :-).

1. Add a single new M.2 drive to the pool, wait for the files to be spread across all 3 drives, then remove 1 of my SSDs, wait for the files to be duplicated across the remaining one SSD & one new M.2 drive, then repeat the process for the 2nd new M.2 drive; or
  2. Add both new M.2 drives to the pool at the same time, wait for the files to be spread across all 4 drives, then one at a time remove an existing SSD, wait for the files to be spread across the remaining 3 drives in the pool, and when that finishes remove the 2nd SSD drive.

Again, I realize that the drive replacements will take a while.  I am not looking for the fastest of the 2 above options, but instead the recommended & safest method.

Also, I am curious if anyone else uses DrivePool to store Hyper-V VMs, as I don't know if I should shutdown Hyper-V (service) on that PC while performing the above drive upgrades, or if it would be safe to leave Hyper-V running, and therefore the VM files would be in use.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance, and have a great weekend.

Regards & be safe,

John

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet