Force drive usage balance after adding new drive

celegorm

Question

I have added 2 new drives to my existing pool.  I wanted to balance my current load out so I didn't have 12 drives sitting at 75-90% with 2 new drives virtually empty.  I disabled all balancers except Disk Space Equalizer which I have set to balance by Percentage used (I have a mix of 4, 8 and 14 TB drives so free space won't get me quite what I want).

When it did the initial balance it put about 150GB on both new drives - then nothing.  It finishes saying the distribution is not optimal but no matter how many times I re-kick off the balance nothing else ever changes.  Picture is a snip of my current pool.  You can see the markers where the balancer wants to take the drives but it doesn't move things from there.

Has anyone else had luck balancing out the load after expanding their pool?

image.png.55a16247794093901a88f0c5621b43a6.png

1 answer to this question

SO I think I just needed to talk bad about the plugin.  I kicked it off manually probably 5 times out of frustration after this post and on the 5th time it started actually moving more.  2 days later it's 30% done - but I have a lot of data across a lot of drives and it's 100% duplicated so the time is fine by me.

Curious as to why it too so many re-tries to get it to do anything but I might never get that answer.