Mobo died, moving drives to new computer

sprtfan

Question

My motherboard died the other day and I was able to move everything into a spare system I had as a stop gap.  My old system was a LBA1150 Asus H871-Plus with a G3220.  The system I moved the drives to is a Gigabyte H81m-HD2 with a G3258.  I'd like to get buy without spending much but the Gigabyte will not fit into my server case and only has 4 sata and I'd need 6 to fit all the drives from the previous system.  There is no esata on the Gigabyte either but I might have a pci card that I can add if that is an option.  Would adding the sata card and extra drives be a good idea or would getting an external and connecting via USB be better?  Would I be better off not wasting my time and money and get a new itx board with 6 sata on it?  Thanks for any input.

2 answers to this question

Whilst YMMV, in my experience the cheaper multi-bay USB enclosures are nothing but trouble in terms of spasmodically disconnecting one or more drives - so, unless you've real money to spend, if you're after a cheap enclosure then it's eSATA all the way.

So, given the options, a pcie SATA card would be the better option, imho, if cost is king...

...but it's your call as to whether using the server case or not is worth the extra for a new board.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, PocketDemon said:

Whilst YMMV, in my experience the cheaper multi-bay USB enclosures are nothing but trouble in terms of spasmodically disconnecting one or more drives - so, unless you've real money to spend, if you're after a cheap enclosure then it's eSATA all the way.

So, given the options, a pcie SATA card would be the better option, imho, if cost is king...

...but it's your call as to whether using the server case or not is worth the extra for a new board.

Thanks, I went through some old parts and found a asus z68 with a intel i5-2500k that had 8 sata on it.  The case I'm using is less than ideal but will work while I save up to buy some new gear and do it right.  Thanks for the help