Windows 10 Home Server - client pc backup solution

Rec0n

Question

Hey all, I figure I would ask here because smart people use Drive Pool! :)

I just got rid of WHS 2011 as my home server software due to unacceptable issues, unreliability and boot issues. Obviously it did have a great client PC backup system that worked fairly well where windows 10 does not.

I am running a drive pool with first level folders that I map various users to on their PCs, so we are not talking high tech here! I gave VEEAM endpoint free a go, but it will not 'see' the network mapped drive I allocated for the backups. The permissions are all OK, just being a pain.
I am now onto EASEUS ToDo backups which does backup to my 'home server' mapped network drive and seems to be OK, but what else is out there that you rate - free or paid if it is worth the investment - and are there any other Windows 10 friendly ones that would allow me to centrally administer the backups like my WHS software did?

If I dont find anything better I will probs just stay with the EASEUS solution as it is pretty neat - unless VEEAM support can fix their issue.

What-cha-got?

3 answers to this question

Macrium Reflect (Free or Paid).  If you don't need the server edition (which is paid software to run on Windows Server), it does a fantastic job with all kinds of backups, custom settings, schedules, recovery media, etc.  Even after I do my next server upgrade to WSE 2016, I'll probably -still- keep all my workstations/laptops on Macrium Reflect.  For me it's largely fire-and-forget, and I check backups by simply looking at the Backup Folder repository to ensure they actually kicked off and completed correctly.  No management console required for that.

They do have a "Site Manager" package, which is paid software with a 30-day trial, in case you want to investigate that portion of their suite.  I've never used it, but it appears to be a central management and license distribution package, so that you can install/uninstall/manage/etc on connected workstations.

Macrium Site Manager is a great new addition to the Reflect family of image based backup solutions. Now it is much easier to deploy large numbers of Macrium Reflect endpoint backup agents and manage these from a central location. IT Administrators will be able to use a customisable Dashboard to view backup status at a glance and easy problem identification and resolution.

As far as Veeam's ability to see network shares goes - have you tried mapping to the specific IP\share instead of using NetBIOS naming?  That  fixes the issue in some software.

15 hours ago, Jaga said:

Macrium Reflect (Free or Paid).  If you don't need the server edition (which is paid software to run on Windows Server), it does a fantastic job with all kinds of backups, custom settings, schedules, recovery media, etc.  Even after I do my next server upgrade to WSE 2016, I'll probably -still- keep all my workstations/laptops on Macrium Reflect.  For me it's largely fire-and-forget, and I check backups by simply looking at the Backup Folder repository to ensure they actually kicked off and completed correctly.  No management console required for that.

They do have a "Site Manager" package, which is paid software with a 30-day trial, in case you want to investigate that portion of their suite.  I've never used it, but it appears to be a central management and license distribution package, so that you can install/uninstall/manage/etc on connected workstations.

As far as Veeam's ability to see network shares goes - have you tried mapping to the specific IP\share instead of using NetBIOS naming?  That  fixes the issue in some software.

Good info Jaga, thanks.

Do you mean UNC path for the backup? That's what I did...\\servername\backup folder

Veeam are actually working on this anyway but so far the EASEUS software is doing a great job of backing up with minimum impact on the drive. Impressed so far.

6 hours ago, Rec0n said:

Do you mean UNC path for the backup? That's what I did...\\servername\backup folder

Yeah, sorry, the UNC name (I'm old-school and still refer to windows shares with NetBIOS terms).  I've gotten used to replacing the UNC/NetBIOS name with direct IP addresses to circumvent some issues I find.  i.e. \\192.168.1.5\Backups

Good to hear about EaseUS.  I'll take a peek at their software and see how well it fulfills the role.  I suspect it may work well, given that I'm considering WSE 2016 inside a Hyper-V environment.