Jump to content
  • 0

What attribute to check for files that were moved due to rebalance?


zmb16
 Share

Question

So I've found out that my system has had a stick of memory that went bad about a month ago. When DrivePool rebalances a file to a new drive is there a date time attribute I can check that was updated?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
13 hours ago, zmb16 said:

is there a date time attribute I can check that was updated?

The NTFS file system retains three different timestamps:

  • date/time file was created
  • date/time file was last accessed (e.g. read)
  • date/time file was last updated (i.e. written)

You can use the DIR command to view these different timestamps. Use "dir /?" to see the built-in help.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 hours ago, CyberSimian said:

The NTFS file system retains three different timestamps:

  • date/time file was created
  • date/time file was last accessed (e.g. read)
  • date/time file was last updated (i.e. written)

You can use the DIR command to view these different timestamps. Use "dir /?" to see the built-in help.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

So during a reblance by drivepool would only the last updated or last accessed be changed or both?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 hours ago, zmb16 said:

So during a reblance by drivepool would only the last updated or last accessed be changed or both?

If file A is copied to file B, the timestamps for B show:

  • "Date created" shows the date that file B was created.
  • "Date accessed" shows the date that file A was most-recently accessed. Since it had to be accessed in order to copy the file, this date is the same as "date created" for file B.
  • "Date updated" shows the date that file A was most-recently modified. This leads to the apparently contradictory situation where file B appears to have been modified before it was created.

I would suggest that you perform some simple file-copy tests with small files to see how the various timestamps behave. Then you will know for sure what to expect when file balancing occurs. (I have never rebalanced my drive pool as I cannot see the point of doing so; if I add an empty disk, all new file copies to the pool go to the new drive until such time as it is approaching the same occupancy as the other drives.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...