StableBit DrivePool Balancing

marquis6461

Question

Stablebit DrivePool Version 3.2.1466 Beta Version.

Situation.... Run a 54.6 TB Pool with Directory as such T:\A\ etc etc .  Each Root of the Pool is an Alphabet giving 27 Root Directories for all  # being for numbers.

Previously, the drives would need a complete reset to everything in order to balance the system.  Using 100% of the drive had proven fatal as when the drive is TOTALLY filled, you have to delete SOMETHING for the repair program to fix it.  Scanner does a great job but it CANNOT work on a TOTALLY filled drive it errors out.

Yesterday, A large file was being sent to the Pool with a restriction on the Root to just one drive.  Granted the copy failed but I did get a "Failed to Enumerate FOLDER" error.  I bring this up because after I rebooted and rebuilt the pool the problem went away.  This bring me to my suggestion.

As I am unable to make a decent plugin and I have looked at them all for what would work.  Here is my suggestion ...

Allow a plugin to be called up if a folder is too big to the drive assigned in Stablebit Pool that has other folders that can be moved by the File Placement rules.  I have also noticed that the system works on each rule from top down.  While this is generally great, I would love it to be able to skip that File Placement rule upon an error and go to the next one. Then check to see if all rules have been satisfied and run thru again.  Only after maybe three complete passes of all rules will it fail and you would either have to enlarge your pool or do some serious pruning of excess files.

If this can be possible, I would love to see it placed in the Beta or a plugin.

I left all initial settings :   StableBit Scanner - Prevent Drive Overfill  - Drive Usage Limiter all the rest are unchecked.

I tried the All-In-One but it turned out to not fit what I wanted.

Thanks so much for a great piece of software that is much better than Microsoft's Storage Spaces.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet